We’re winding up our first step in the 12 Step Healthier You Journey, but before we move on, I want to share a drink I’ve added to my morning routine.
Here’s the recipe, if you can call it that. It’s so stinking easy!
- 6 oz. water
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Golden Honey (recipe below)
Heat water, but not quite to a boil. Add juice. Add the Golden Honey, then stir into the warm water to dissolve. Drink quickly while it’s still warm, preferably on an empty stomach.
Reasons to drink lemon honey tea:
- It’s a low calorie, water-based drink full of enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.
- It aids digestion by increasing stomach acid production and bile secretion, which then helps the breakdown of food and absorption of nutrients.
- It acts as a diuretic by increasing the production of urine. The accumulation of fluid creates an inflammatory response, so by discouraging water retention, the body may respond with lower blood pressure, reduced edema, and less overall inflammation.
- It is a natural detoxifier because it supports the liver’s job of neutralizing and flushing toxins through urine.
- It boosts immunity. Lemon juice is high in vitamin C, and honey helps with air-born allergies.
- It relieves chest congestion. While I haven’t always felt congested, I notice that I will have a slight cough for an hour or so after drinking the tea which breaks up whatever gunk is building up.
- It relieves urinary tract infections and kidney stones. This is one of my biggest reasons for drinking lemon honey tea. I have chronic kidney stones. I pass several every few months, and as a result my kidneys stay inflamed most of the time. Going back to the diuretic properties of the drink, the tea keeps urine moving through my kidneys and discourages the sediment that forms kidney stones. The citric acid also alkalizes urine, further discouraging the formation of stones. I’ll take all the help I can get.
A side note about turmeric: Turmeric is a delicious spice used the world over for seasoning many different cuisines, but it can also be taken as a safe alternative for anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen. I’ve been adding it to my diet in various forms, and I can tell a difference in my overall joint pain, body aches, and kidney pain.
Making Golden Honey
- 1 tablespoon powdered turmeric
- 7 tablespoons raw honey
Stir together and store in a sealed container at room temperature. Add to lemon honey tea or take a half a teaspoon allowing the honey to dissolve in the mouth before swallowing as needed.
If you have a healthy tea or drink, please share the recipe in the comments. Tell me how it helps you!
P.S. Catch up on the 12 Step Healthier You Journey starting at Health Challenge 2017.
P.S.S. Join the 12 Step Healthier You Journey by adding your email to my mailing list in the box to the top right. I won’t spam you, and you won’t miss any of my posts encouraging you to develop healthier life habits. Win-win!